GWO / Renewable UK First Aid Refresher
Duration: 1 day
Venue: Renewables Academy at Wexford Training Centre
Certification: GWO (Global Wind Organisation)/ Renewable UK (Valid for 2 years)
First Aid is one element (of four) of the GWO Basic Safety Training which is required for all Wind Farm workers. The aim of this BST Module is to administer safe and effective First Aid in the wind turbine industry/ WTG environment, in accordance with GWO First Aid training through theoretical and practical training.
The objectives of the course are such that, on completion, delegates will be able to demonstrate:
- Understanding of the importance of carrying out First Aid in a safe and sound manner, in accordance with the legislative requirements and according to European Resuscitation Council (ERC) guidelines
- Identify and explain normal function, normal signs and symptoms of serious and minor injuries and illness related to the human body
- Understanding and correct order of management in an emergency situation in a Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) environment.
- Demonstrate correct use of lifesaving First Aid using the Primary Survey A-B-C
- Correct use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Demonstrate correct use of Ordinary First Aid, the Secondary Survey
- Correct use of First Aid equipment in a First Aid scenario
What you get
The course takes place in the classroom and contains a mix of theory lessons and practical exercises. The course covers:
- Legislation – Global, National, First Aid Guidelines, Risks and Hazards
- Anatomy – Life functions, structure, injuries and illnesses, signs and symptoms, emergency situations, personal hygiene
- Life-saving first aid (A-B-C) – Primary survey, unresponsive casualty, CPR, obstruction of airway, bleeding internal and external, shock
- Theme – based training:
- Psychological effects of First Aid
- Sudden sickness and environmental factors
- Types of trauma
- Incident management and situational awareness
- Complex incidents with several (2 – 5) casualties
- Scenario-based training in which delegates practice first aid techniques
Successful delegates will receive a GWO / Renewable UK Certificate of training and their training will be logged on the WINDA database of wind industry training records.
(Successful completion involves passing a short, multiple-choice written exam and satisfactory assessment of the delegate during the practical exercises.)
Delegates should be physically fit and capable of fully participating in the course, particularly all of the practical exercises.
Delegates will be required to sign a statement declaring that they are medically fit to complete the training and that they do not suffer from any medical illness or are under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.